HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Friday, March 30, 2012

Which Bed Would You Choose? A Look At Bed Styles


decorpadbed

I’ve been shopping for a new master bed and I’ve decided on an upholstered headboard.

Or, so I thought.  Easier said than done.

Fully upholstered?  Wood frame?  Tufted?  Nailhead trim?  Footboard?
I decided to go with a more authentic French look, and so I want one with a wood frame.  These are a little more difficult to find than the all-upholstered versions which are very plentiful.

French yumminess below.

frenchbeds

I also decided on new instead of antique.  Antique beds can be tricky sometimes with fitting today’s mattresses and bedrails and I didn’t want the bother (been down that road before with custom sized mattress sets on a couple Victorian beds)

IMG_0732

IMG_0735

Beautiful beds, but I want the convenience of a new one!  Sold the top full bed a while ago, but my mom still has the great mid-1800s twin bed below.  I know what some of you are thinking, get out the ASCP!!!  (But this is actually a fine period antique!)


IMG_0727


IMG_0730

After much searching, I’ve narrowed it down to two:

Pottery Barn’s  Gabriella with it’s weathered oak frame and string-tufted back.


img50o


It’s a very pretty Louis XV style indeed.


img76o


And, Ethan Allen’s Allesandra with matching footboard.  It’s even upholstered on the inside of the footboard.  This style is based more on the Louis XVI style.  You can get  it tufted but you can’t just get the headboard.


ethanallenallesandrabed


I took this photo at the Ethan Allen showroom.

IMG_3093


Here are some photos of these two different but similar styles of beds.

googlebed
googlebed1
frenchbed
decorpadbed1
understated-elegance-the-barbara-barry-collection-for-baker-sub6
(Barbara Barry for Baker Furniture)

louisxviempirebed

I’m really torn. I love them both.  I’ve always had a footboard so I’m wanting to try something without a footboard.  I’d probably go with the tufted Ethan Allen version if I could just order the headboard.  But the one from Pottery Barn is really charming and has nailhead trim.
What do you all think?  I really value your opinion.

Decisions, decisions!
Happy Decorating,
Kim

Linking up to:
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Show and Tell Friday at Romantic Home
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the top right of the grouped photos. I'm not sure if that is the Pottery Barn or which one it is. I want a new headboard too! I'm hating mine right now. It's the next thing on my list...

Maureen Wyatt said...

I'm leaning toward the Pottery Barn one. Happy problem indeed! ~ Maureen

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Both great, but PB gets my vote.

Footboards are nice to lose - always running into them.

Good luck, can't wait for your reveal once you decide and have your delivered!

Have a great weekend!

momto8 said...

oh my goodness what a fun decision! you can't go wrong!!
Thank you for your thoughts today. I appreciate you being my blogging friend.
happy happy friday!!

Debra@CommonGround said...

the PB one is my favorite, the tufting is just gorgeous, It will look beautiful in your room!

citicasita said...

You had a great looking bed! You Mom's bed is also beautiful and I can see why you wouldn't want ASCP it! I was in the same position but decides to not only paint it, but re-style it. I gave it a french flair with appliques and limed the foot and headboards with pickling stain. The bed already had the frenchy curves so it wasn't so bad.
I don't think mine was as precious as your Mom's though.
Anyway, the Pottery Barn bed is great! good luck in your search.

Diddie @citicasita

pam {simple details} said...

I agree with everyone else, the PB style is just beautiful! How fun, can't wait to see your update!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I am an Ethan Allen fan and I love their new bed..gorgeous...and the Pottery Barn is also a stunner...

A room with a view said...

I love tufted headbboards and the EA one is magnificent although it is a shame you cannot order without footboard. Restoration Hardware also does amazing ones and I am currently working on one from Ballard Designs with a client.

farmhouse-story said...

i love the pottery barn headboard--love the tufting and curves:)

therelishedroost said...

Love your blog, so pretty!! Have you check out www.tothedesigntradeonly.com, THey make custom headboards, they are sooo nice!! They do full upholstered but the styles are great, worth checking out!! Good Luck!

irit said...

definitely like the potterbarn bed. i LOVE the first bed you posted though (with the white comforter)- do you know who makes it?? just came across your blog (and love it!!) while looking for a bed just like it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...