HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Patina vs. Pristine

This is a very random thought today.  I’ll prove that patina can be found in the smallest details.  As I was standing in my usual spot in front the kitchen sink this morning, I especially noticed how the finish had worn away from the bronze-colored  drains.

 

IMG_6638

All of the faucets and hardware in the house are in an oil rubbed bronze finish.  In a little over six years, the bronze finish on the drains in the kitchen sink have given way to a natural brass base.  My house is no longer “brand” new.

I can’t believe I’m showing you this.

IMG_6926

Some would view it as a flaw and needing replaced.  I, too, have had those thoughts.  “Oh, no, the finish is wearing off, we must get a NEW one”.   I’ve had to resist that urge.  I’ll admit, it has actually bothered me a time or two.  But not today. Today it’s elevated to a new level of beauty.

No, it’s not that dirty.  This is what remains of the bronze coating.

IMG_6922

As I stood looking at this,  I found myself actually preferring the time-worn elegance that ONLY time can portray.  All the scrubbing, cleaning, and filling of water finally achieves this look.

IMG_6923

IMG_6925

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I like the unfinished aged brass and its mismatched “look” with the faucet.   Now that I’ve accepted this less-than-perfect feature, I can truly appreciate it’s patina and beauty.

To me it says it’s lived in. It’s been used.  It’s been loved. 

Yes, even a sink drain.

This is the story of our houses.

Lived in, loved, uniquely ours, BEAUTIFUL!

PRISTINE IS QUICK.   PATINA TAKES TIME.

I can’t believe I’ve just posted about a sink drain!  Talk about being philosophical!  Inspiration can be found in the strangest places. lol  It’s one of those days!!!

Hugs,

Kim

10 comments:

Maureen Wyatt said...

That's the difference between a real house and a model home. I like the scratches on my bedroom door that were made by a long gone pet and the knicks on the porch from my kids skates. Go ahead and post about sinks. That's kind of stuff we all think about! ~ Maureen

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Fabulous post, and a great reminder of how ATTITUDE is something we can CONTROL, and it is the secret to whether we are satisfied or not.

Your post wasn't about sink drains, it was about JOY....and that, my sweet friend, is something to smile about.

Thank you. I actually needed this today more than you could ever know.

Hugs.

Rooms by Ann said...

I agree I like that time worn look (patina), Your kitchen is beautiful. People spend thousands of $$$$ to get a patina. your's is the best kind it came the old fashion way (with time).Thanks for posting.

lvroftiques said...

I also agree. I love a great patina! And your drains look better to me with their worn appearance *winks* Vanna

Deserae said...

The next time I look around my house and think about everything that needs fixed I am going to remind myself about how much "Patina" our old girl has :o)
Great post!
~Des

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Great post, Kim! I agree...it's the sign of a home that has been "well-loved". You can't buy that in the store!!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I agree! I think it adds authenticity to your lovely farm house sink! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Our Hopeful Home said...

I'm with you all the way. I'd better be, since we have the same hardware in some of our sinks, too! :)

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kim, Our house is six years old and we have the same "patina" in the kitchen sink. I guess I need to embrace the look now. Love your apron sink. Hugs, Sherry

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

I'm stopping over to say hi and thanks for your lovely comment. And what a great treat to find such an elegant blog! What a delight! I agree with you, I like things that have been well-love and show it!
I am a new follower!
Yvonne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...