HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Bluegrass Trust Show & Suzanne Kasler


I just returned home from a wonderful couple days in Lexington attending the annual Bluegrass Trust Antique & Garden Show.  It’s one of the premier antique & décor events in Kentucky and it never disappoints me.

BG-Antiques-Banner01

This year it was held at the Kentucky Horse Park at the new Alltech Arena which was home to the World Equestrian Games last year.  It has previously been conducted at the Keeneland Racetrack before the spring meet starts.

6SCDF00Z

It is a very high-end show and exhibitors include some of the finest antique dealers in the U.S. plus a variety of outstanding nurseries and garden designers.  There are always great event speakers, silent auctions, and lots and lots of the best antiques for home décor.  Plus, some of the best of the best designers, dealers, and so forth from right here in the Bluegrass are featured.

I wish I could show you some photos, but I never take any at this particular show.  To say it is upscale, is an understatement.  This show has what I call a certain classy “Southern Refinement” and it is not the place where you go around all giddy at the amount of amazing items and snap photos incessantly while you drool over everything.    It’s just not that venue.  It has such a distinguished air about it.  Don’t get me wrong…..it’s definitely not snoody…..there are soooo many wonderful people here…..it’s just the way it is.  There are professional photographers there and you just don’t see people taking pictures.

I attended the Gala and Preview Party on Thursday night with a couple of my friends and it was a wonderful evening.  My pick of the night was a lovely potted orchid and dried lavender bunches that came from a fine nursery in Frankfort. 

On Friday, I attended the luncheon with featured speaker, Suzanne Kasler, renowned Atlanta-based designer extraordinaire.  She’s actually from Indiana and went to school in Cincinnati before finally moving to Atlanta.

022310_v1_10

I’m sure most of you are familiar with Suzanne’s work, but if you’re not, you’re missing out on am amazing interior designer.  Her work has been published in every major national home décor magazine, and she has lines with Hickory Chair, Ballard Designs, Lee Jofa, and Safavieh.

080515_KaslerSmith

Her book, Inspired Interiors, published by Rizzoli a couple years ago, is a well written visual feast.  She got it right on both ends….the text and the photos

101408620
  
She was charming in person and conducted a book signing before and after she spoke.  This lady knows a lot about great design and her presentation was very interesting.

I find her style to be fresh and exciting without a lot of fuss.

Her overall design philosophy is a pretty straightforward approach that says if you get the architecture right, the decorating becomes less of a challenge.  She says a home should look collected not “decorated”.  Her rooms are carefully edited.  What I really like about her style is the attention to detail.  She infuses dressmaker’s details on textiles such as banded flanges on upholstered goods and grosgrain trims under tacks.  Monogrammed pulls are also something she’s very fond of.

1552_02_detail_1

Her palette is mostly layered whites with different tones, and strategically placed pops of color which is what makes her rooms so memorable.

Below is her own foyer in her Atlanta home. I love the little gold leaf gueridon table.  I have limestone floors with black marble pickets in my foyer as well.

SuzanneKasler_pg013a(2)

This is a beach house and I love her use of blue in this space without it being overdone.

page-131

The random placement of this collection of antique and new starburst mirrors is unexpected and visually appealing.

4-restraint-living-room-0408-xlg

She makes her own upholstery at times by combining different fabrics as seen here.  She places importance on collections by grouping them together.

1515_30RM-766x1024

This is one of my favorite rooms (her master bedroom) with the embroidered Chanel-like details on the bench and pillows which gives the Chinnoisserie bed a contemporary vibe.  You can’t see from this photo, but there is ribbon detail on the simple drapes.

2407870954_f648f16569_o

She incorporates a lot of antiques into her rooms, and these vintage batik prints she found at a flea market and had them framed to use in this space.

kasler_p202-203

This is a photo of some of her pieces for Hickory Chair.  I got to see the French-style slipper chairs in person and they are to-die-for.  She’s traveled extensively and uses her own antiques for inspiration when designing furniture and accessories. She also loves to shop in France….my kind of gal!

Classic-and-Aesthetic-Living-Room-Furniture-Design-Alexandra-Chair-by-Suzanne-Kasler

She was very gracious and I managed to get one photo of her, even though it isn’t great quality as I was using my I-phone.

IMG_3147

One of the homes from her book is featured in the new April issue of Veranda on page 136 titled “A Golden Mean”.  If you get a chance, pick up a copy to read.

I did manage to hit the exhibition one last time and I came away with a cool vintage mid-century bronze statue of the Eiffel Tower on a marble base.
 
IMG_7179

It has great detail.

IMG_7183

I’m sure my selection was influenced by Suzanne just showing us her Eiffel Tower collection that she has in her own home.  Yes, I left all the awesome French and English art and antiques at the show…..for now.

IMG_7181

All in all, it was a great show and I can’t wait to see who they get for the featured speaker next year.  Who could it be?  It was at this same show that I met Charles Faudree in the spring of 2010 as he was the speaker.    If anyone wants to come to the show with me next year, just let me  know and I’ll meet you in Lexington.

Happy Decorating,
Kim

Happily linking up to these parties:
Newbie Party at Debbie Doo's Blogging and Blabbing 
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Potpourri Friday at 2805
Inspiration Friday at At The Picket Fence

13 comments:

Maureen Wyatt said...

Her work is stunningly beautiful! Thanks. ~ Maureen

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kim, it seems that you had a wonderful time. These images are just gorgeous! Suzanne's work is just amazing!

lvroftiques said...

How fun to meet Suzanne Kasler. I really enjoy her work. And your little bronze Eiffel tower is really cool. Vanna

Rooms by Ann said...

Wow. This sounds amazing, Love that Eiffel tower. Thanks for posting.

Paula said...

Wow - Suzanne's work looks amazing, and what a wonderful opportunity to meet her. Wish I could have seen the show - it sounds an absolute delight!

Debbiedoos said...

amazing work! Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

A room with a view said...

Sounds like a fabulous event. Suzanne Kasler has beautiful items and I love that she mixes old and new in spaces she has created. I love her sunburst mirrors and baskets, among other items, on Ballard Designs.

Sandy said...

It sounds like a fabulous show! If you would have been busy trying to get great photos you would have missed the event. Love your eiffel tower. Suzanne Kasler's book looks fabulous. I agree, a home should look collected and be a reflection of the homeowner. I don't like homes that look too staged. Of course the staged look is great for photographs but I don't think many people really live like that. Just my 2 cents.

This is my first visit and I plan to visit often.

I discovered you at Debbie Doos. You don't look like a newbie to me. You're doing great with your blog.

Bliss said...

Did you come home with anything?

~Bliss~

designchic said...

Love her design and her pieces for Hickory Chair are stunning. Love the quatrefoil chair!

Janette - The2Seasons said...

I hated to miss the show this year, especially since it was at the new location. It definitely needed to be "reinvented" because it was getting a little tired. We are on a three-week bicycling trip in Florida, so I couldn't be there. Thanks for the update.

Bring Pretty Back said...

Suzanne's work is amazing! wow! What talent!
Have a PRETTY day!
Kristin

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

How wonderful to have met her...She is such an amazing designer...I just love all her work! Thank you for all the beautiful images of her work...I do have that Veranda magazine...one of my favorites!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...