HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Yes, I’m A Hillbilly with a Music Room

I don’t think I’ve ever shared with you that I am a pianist.  I began playing the piano when I was 6 years old.  I have been a church pianist since the age of 8.  I have studied classical piano, performed on stage for numerous talent competitions and beauty pageants, played at countless weddings and funerals, and specialize in Southern gospel.  I’ve even given piano lessons in the past.

That’s why I need a music room!

IMG_6700

Now, the Hillbilly part.  I’ve been absent from blogland this week due to our annual Hillbilly Days Festival right here in Pikeville, KY.  It might as well be declared a national holiday in these parts.  Over 150,000 visitors from all over the U.S. and other countries descend upon our sleepy little town with a population of 6,500  to hoot and holler and raise money for the Shriner’s Children’s Hospital in Lexington.  All the local schools are out.  It’s a wildly popular event, with lots of Bluegrass music, fireworks, a carnival, corn hole competitions, quilt shows, and tons of hillbillies all dressed up for the part!  Oh, and lots of Hillbilly slang!


image

And did I mention food?  Holy Moly, there are tons of food vendors.  Did you know you can deep fry anything?  Even butter?  Well, it’s all right here at Hillbilly Days.  My favorite indulgence is deep fried Oreos!  This is certainly not a health food week.


image


What comes to your mind when you hear the word “hillbilly”?
Do you picture Jed Clampett and Granny from the old TV show “The Beverly Hillbillies”?  Do you think moonshine, cabins, and barefoot folk?


image

There are wealthy hillbillies and poor hillbillies.  It’s a long and rich heritage that comes from living in the Appalachian Mountains (which could be an entire blog of its own…maybe one day!).  It’s a fascinating history behind where we get the term “hillbilly”.  Short explanation here.  I may drive a Porsche and have lots of shoes, but I’m still a hillbilly at heart and proud of it.  I live among some of the most intelligent and kindest people in the world.  Southern hillbillies believe in strong family ties (generations run deep in these hills) and always help their neighbors.


Yes, other hillbillies drive nice cars, too!

image


The music is always  outstanding.  There are several different stages set up around the city including the park, the courthouse, and the boulevard.  This was an impromptu session.
 
image


At the stage in the city park.

image


Very fashion-forward, don’t cha think?  Please don’t call me ladies wanting to know where you can get overalls like these!!!  And that hat would be perfect for the Kentucky Derby!  (just kidding, of course!) lol

image


O.K., O.K. enough Hillbilly Days. You get the idea.  Of course, I go every year and eat, socialize,  visit the craft area, and listen to good music.  The city is at the base of my mountain (in the valley).  I’m in the city limits and can see downtown from my backyard.


View of the city from my house.

photo (10)

And you thought this post was about my music room!  Well, it is!

The baby grand is a cherry French Provinçal style by Yamaha.  They make one of the best sounding concert pianos.  I’m in good company…Elton John prefers a Yamaha.  My previous grand piano was a traditional shiny black lacquer example by Baldwin.


IMG_6699

This is a sunken music room and it is located in the center of the house.  My husband bought me the French trumeau mirror on my 40th birthday.  The other French pieces are the console and plant stand, both Louis XVI style from the late 1800s.

IMG_6707

You can see my pair of French bouillotte tables on the right.  This Karastan rug is one of my favorites.  I just love the pattern and the subtle colors.


IMG_6702

It’s hard to find an original trumeau in this condition.  

IMG_6704

I think I’ve shared the story about this mantel before, but I’ll share it again.  We bought this mantel before we had house plans because I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it at Architectural Salvage in Louisville.  It’s cherry and walnut and came from a Victorian mansion in the Cincinnati area.  It stands 9  1/2” tall and I really love the paneled recessed niche.  I hung a pair of French botanical engravings in the niche and at Christmas a large Father Christmas stands proudly in the space.

IMG_6705

It’s the only non-working fireplace in the house.  I had black slate installed in the back so I could display my French fireback.  The two large urns are alabaster and are also from France.  The double doors lead to the balcony.

IMG_6709

The floors are Brazilian cherry and we had an inlaid pattern put around the mantel.  Actually, we had this inlaid border installed in our dining room, and we had a little left over so I put it here!!!  Can’t waste good materials!

IMG_6720



August 2006 (33)


View looking toward the foyer.

IMG_6711



IMG_6715

Detail on the French brass repoussé planter.  The brown spotted ball is actually an English Victorian carpet ball and is really quite heavy!

IMG_6721



IMG_6719



IMG_6723

I hope you enjoyed the hillbilly music room! LOL  Gotta run.  The big parade is today and it’s the last opportunity to get greasy yummy hillbilly food until next year!  Hopefully this afternoon I’ll get caught up on reading all your wonderful blogs as well…I feel so behind.  

Y’all come back now, ya hear?
Kim

Linking up to these great parties:
French Obsession Party at Le Chateau Des Fleurs 
Favorite Room Party at In The Old Road

14 comments:

Rooms by Ann said...

This is a beautiful room I love the piano.I wish I could play. Thanks for sharing.

Maureen Wyatt said...

You have been holding out on us girlfriend! But, you do get more interesting by the minute. Of course, a pianist must have a music room and your's is stunning! I'm still trying to equate that tasteful room with eating deep fried Oreos. lol

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kim, what a beautiful music room! The details are just stunning!! I started playing at age 6, as well; and played for my church until I graduated from college. I now have my childhood piano here with me. Never touch it! LOL!!! Great post!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

What a beautiful room. Love the little gold box.

chateau chic said...

Hi Kim,
Never in my wildest dreams would I take you for the hillbilly type from a small town in Kentucky!! :-)) Looks like a lot of fun though. Your music room is beautiful.
Mary Alice

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

This room is GORGEOUS!!

Our Hopeful Home said...

Kim your house is gorgeous! And that view is amazing! You are very talented, and so lucky to have that festival right there in your town....the piano is beautiful, here's to many happy years playing it.

xoxo
Kathleen

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

I love your music room! I'm so happy to see that your piano lid is on the ame angle as mine, as someone without piano knowledge, I'm counting on others to show me how to keep the thing:)

Jessica
stayathomeista.com

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love your fireplace, Kim! It may be faux, but it looks fantastic with that detailing. That planter is just stunning!

Debbiedoos said...

Oh it is just gorgeous Kimberly. My BF here is a piano teacher. I could listen to her play for hours. Truly a gift you have! Thanks for sharing.

Lynn Wood said...

Sorry, that piano room is anything but hillbilly. It just takes your breath away! But that hillbilly festival looks like a hoot, you had me a deep fried Oreo!

Unknown said...

I love your house!
Come back next Monday!
Thanks for linking up to the French party!

LifeLessOrdinary said...

Your music room is gorgeous! I love that you have it in a sunken room...that makes it even more special. And the mantel? I'm speechless. It's exquisite!

I'm hosting a linky party for "favorite rooms" and think yours would be perfect. I just started it today and would love to have a music room in the mix. Please join us. Here's the link:
http://intheoldroad.blogspot.com/2012/04/whats-your-favorite-room-linky-party.html

Bliss said...

This was a bad post for me to look at before bed. I just know I'm gonna wake up singing the Beverly Hillbillies theme..... that is if I can get it outta my head and fall asleep!

~Bliss~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...