HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Monday, April 23, 2012

A Quiet Reading Retreat

I love slipping up to the second floor library with a hot cup of tea,  selecting a book, and curling up on the chaise lounge to get lost.

IMG_5560

It’s an open library that overlooks the foyer.

IMG_5558

The built-ins are from the same Kentucky company that made my kitchen cabinets, Mouser Custom Cabinetry.   It might not look it from this angle, but it’s about 16’ of cabinetry.  Yes, I know the bookshelves are not styled correctly with all matching off-white or red book covers.  I actually USE this library as a library.  It contains lots of my decorating books that I constantly use for reference.  The glass fronts hold photos and antique porcelains.  There’s a walk-in closet to the left that I didn’t picture, in which I store extra décor items and more books!  It was built for family scrapbook and photo storage and I keep that stuff in there, too.  You can never have too many closets.

IMG_7054

I purchased the stained glass window before we built the house.

 

It was actually a double hung window that came out of a Victorian mansion in New England.  It has the most wonderful colored glass and raised glass jewels.

IMG_5552

It is so beautiful when the light from the foyer shines through it.  It also glows at night when the lamp is on and looks pretty from the foyer looking up at it.

 

IMG_7063

I purchased the vintage chaise years ago and recently had it re-upholstered at Ethan Allen in a flax linen.  The lines actually remind me of the 1930s, but can you believe it was upholstered in peach moiré when I found it?

IMG_7061

The sun comes in so bright in the morning at the front of the house and helps create a cheerful space.

IMG_7056

 

IMG_7067

This is my special place to relax and flip though tons of decorating books.  Every girl needs a quiet retreat.  What’s yours?

Blessings,

Kim

12 comments:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Oh, Kim, what a lovely retreat! You're right, every girl should have a personal retreat. Mine is the home office. I'm the only one who uses it; so, it's perfect for me. I love to curl up on the settee and peruse my magazines and decorating books! Your space is gorgeous!

Karena said...

Kim, truly beautiful retreat for you. This time of year I go out on the terrace where it is as cozy as my living room, a fresh space for Spring!

I am featuring Designer and Paper Artist Anita Rivera from Castle Crown and Cottages on my site! She is amazing!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh Kim!

That space is PERFECT! WOW- I love it so much!

You designed it flawlessly, every detail is dead on awesome.

How do you get anything done being able to hang out in a space like that? I would need a crane to wedge me off that awesome chaise!

Or possibly chocolate.

Gorgeous space indeed!!

Angie at Postcards from the Ridge said...

Wow. What a gorgeous space. I would never leave! I especially love the stained glass window. Thanks for sharing!
Angie

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Gorgeous library, and you have proven that you don't have to paint everything white to have a lovely room. Gorgeous!!

Stacey Stuwe said...

Oh Kim, what a great space! If i had that in my home, i would never leave it!!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

What a GORGEOUS space Kim!! LOVE LOVE that stained glass window!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kim, what a wonderful area to get cozy in. Love the chaise. I have my sun room where I get to watch what I want on t.v. or look at my books and mags.

Olive said...

The bookcases are large and in charge and quite pretty. I love books of all kinds and they do not have to be prettily arranged for me. The chaise is a truly fabulous invention. I have one too and will not part with it.

Bliss said...

I promise to sit and read a whole book in your reading room, you will never even know I'm there, I will be quiet as a mouse.

~Bliss~

Cynthia said...

Kim, what a beautiful retreat. I love, love the crown molding. What a relaxing space and beautiful. I also love the stained glass window.

Cynthia

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Kim, This is just a beautiful area for reading or just hiding out!
Your decor is so rich and classy. It shows that you read decorating books!
I can tell you have a love for books. Only an enthusiast would have such a special library and gorgeous shelves to hold them.
This is one area I would love to have in my home!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...