HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Friday, April 13, 2012

Do You Live With What You Love?

“Living With What You Love” by Monica Rich Kosann

CLG-living-with-what-you-love-de

I’m sure most of you are familiar with this awesome book. but if you haven’t seen or read it, I highly recommend you do so.  I read it probably a year and half-ago, but I have been re-visiting it lately.
Monica Rich Kosann is an amazing fine art portrait photographer, jewelry designer, and curator of family memories.  You can check out her website at www.mrkstyle.com.


about-monica-portrait[1]

I love how she uses family heirlooms and photographs in décor and two of my favorite display ideas are making photo trays and re-purposing old cigarette and card cases into photo holders.
After I read her book I was so inspired that I began a vigil to find special vintage and antique miniature frames for family photos.  I scoured every antique place I visited and got back into ebay so I could bid on nice examples.

And, voilà!  I ended up creating several trays.  Well, some trays and some plateaus (which is my version).


IMG_6535


I love vintage mirrored plateaus, so this gave me an excuse to use some that I already had.
This group is on my nightstand next to the bed sitting on top of the book, of course!
The frames include a vintage marked Italian leather one and two silver-tone Art Deco examples.

The little boy in the tiniest frame is my son.  He turns 22 today.  Yes, I realize his birthday falls on Friday the 13th.  Twenty-two years ago, it was also Friday the 13th the day he was born....BUT...it was also Good Friday and Easter weekend in 1990.


IMG_6539


This one is on the dresser in our bedroom.  I found this copper with pewter overlay tray several years ago.  There’s a couple Tiffany sterling frames, a miniature bronze frame, a Brighton frame, and a handmade shell art frame by artist, Ron Meece.


IMG_6540

This one is in the sunroom.  

IMG_6553


This next one resides in the dining room.  It is extra special because it is the most special women in my family.  Pictured are my paternal and maternal great-grandmothers, my grandmothers, my mother, me, and my daughter.

IMG_6559

Four of these frames are sterling, one is pewter, and one is wood with silver-leaf.


IMG_6561

There’s another in my husband’s home office. It’s on a Pierre Deux pewter and glass tray and holds photos of his parents who were in the service.

I’m still on the lookout for great vintage mini photo frames whenever I’m out antiquing.  They make such an impact when grouped together.
Nice antique miniature frames are another item I’m considering for my Etsy shop this summer.  Anyone else out there collect antique and vintage frames?  Have any nice examples to share?

When I get around to it,  I’ll show you what I did with Monica’s  photo case inspiration. That’s another collection! LOL  They are lots of fun, too.

Happy Photo Displaying,
Kim

Linking up to:
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage 
Newbie Party at Debbie Doo's 
Show Me What You Got at Our Delightful Home
Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

10 comments:

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

What a lovely post - full of your wonderful family photos!

I *especially* love the one of you and your husband looking at one another and smiling.

I have so many pictures but don't have most of the out. I need to work on that very soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Great post.

Babs said...

Kim, I love your idea of displaying your family photos on a tray or mirrored plateau. I'm going to "downsize" my family's photos and use your idea. I have a small house and space is limited. Cant wait to try this. Thanks for a great idea.
~Babs

Maureen Wyatt said...

You have made some beautiful picture groupings! I have picked up vintage frames for years but my all time favourite is a sterling silver oval from the Georgian era. I think I paid $25 for it and it was a steal! Small, vintage frames would be perfect in an Etsy shop! ~ Maureen

Ivy and Elephants said...

I love all your photo displays, especially on the mirrored plateau.
Fabulous idea! That copper and silver tray is so unique, too.
Thanks so much for your sweet visit.
Hugs,
Patti

La Brocanteuse said...

Hello Kim, thank you for sharing this book, I have not heard of it and will def look for it. love your vignettes and photo's shared..and congrats with your son's birthday..just yesterday I was thinking how quick years go by..my daughter turned 9 on April 13th..before I know she will be where your boy is...Colette x

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kim, what a lovely post! You have displayed your photos beautifully! Most of mine are displayed in the formal living room, on top of the piano. I also have an iron tiered corner stand that showcases the rest. I love seeing photos in groupings. Great post!

Laura said...

OK Miss Kim- I am going to try this.
I also need to re-frame most of our photographs.

Project time!

Laura
White Spray Paint

momto8 said...

My husbands office looks like a photo gallery of his family because we all keep giving him more pictures!!

Rooms by Ann said...

You have done an amazing job of keeping your family all around you.Your trays and frames are all lovely and so very endearing. What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.

Debbiedoos said...

That is really sweet Kimberly. I love the display. Thanks again for joining me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...