HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Nature-Inspired Easter

How do you get a lush tablescape?

IMG_7389

Start with this!

IMG_3040

I was inspired a few weeks ago by sweet Pam, over at Simple Details, to grow my own wheat grass. She has a lovely blog that you should “hop” on over to visit if you haven’t already!  I’ve always admired wheat grass growing in containers and I really wanted a natural Easter this year.   Last year, I did more nests and eggs, but this year I’m going with lots of grass and bunnies.  Couldn’t be more simple.

IMG_7392

I like the pop of green color which feels so fresh and alive which is perfect for the spring.

IMG_7391

The toile is a lovely contrast and adds that French touch that I have to have.  This was a tablecloth that I purchased from Williams Sonoma a couple years ago.  I also have it in red.
I didn’t set the table yet, but worked on the centerpieces.  I’m going to keep the dishes simple and use my all white square set which adds a little modern edge to the tableau.

IMG_7393

See the little bunny peeking through the grass?  He’s a cool papier maché florist pick that I’ve had for awhile.

IMG_3044

The grass is so easy to grow.  Just load up any container with good potting soil, throw a bunch of wheat grass seeds (I ordered mine from Amazon) into the dirt, and lightly cover with a thin layer of soil.  For my containers I chose white ironstone and vintage French terra cotta seed pots.

IMG_3049

That’s it.  Just water with a spray bottle for the first week or so 2-3 times a day until you see lots of sprouts.  The more seeds you sew, the thicker the grass will be.  I basically covered the soil with seeds!  See above.

And, voilà!

IMG_7394

These are actually vintage muffin tins that I got on Etsy and just spray painted them white. No need for a tutorial. Easy peasy.  Just add grass and eggs.  I will put real colored eggs in these for the actual Easter dinner.  The charming ceramic bunny is a vintage find from a few years ago.

IMG_7407

Isn’t Mr. Bunny cute?

IMG_7396

IMG_7412


I kinda got carried away and did several containers of the grass using some of my white ironstone pieces.  Here is one in the sunroom!!!

IMG_7414

I also had a Peter Rabbit vase that was a Teleflora container from years past and used it for the breakfast nook table centerpiece.

IMG_7382

Adorable, right?

IMG_7387

Thought I’d show you a few of my favorite photos for wheat grass from Pinterest.  I’m sure many of you have probably seen these if you’re on Pintererst.

marthastewart
(Martha Stewart)


realsimple
(Real Simple)


marthastewart1
(Martha Stewart)


This one is my favorite. J’adore this!  I didn’t see this in time or I would have done this idea.  Individual egg cups and chocolate bunnies….doesn’t get any better.

Guess how I’ll be using my wheat grass next Easter?  You’ll probably see this inspiration photo again next year!!!

What’s growing on your Easter table?

Happy Decorating,
Kim

I'm linking up to these great parties:
Newbie Party at Debbie Doo's Blogging & Blabbing
Bunny Blog Hop at French Country Cottage
Tablescape Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

22 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Oh my gosh I love this!!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Kim I love your wheat grass!

You know I got ALL inspired last year to do this (for the first time) and ordered my seeds early....and you know I stashed them somewhere and didn't find them in time.

And so they are in the kitchen junk drawer.

And do you think I even thought of wheat grass till this very second?

I LOVE yours - it's perfect, and I love every way you did it - esp the tureen and love that vintage Teleflora.

Well done. Dang. I sure hope I remember next year, though 3 year old seeds prob won't sprout, haha.

Happy Easter! Well done!!

Our Hopeful Home said...

I've always loved this idea, but I have a pretty black thumb.....you make me want try it though! Probably too late for Easter but not for a general spring decor piece. I'll have to try the ironstone, and LOVE the Peter Rabbit!

xoxo
Kathleen

Unknown said...

I love it so much!!!!! Stealing...but in the kindest most flattering way....
XO Cindy

Debbiedoos said...

Martha has nothing on this one! Beautiful:) Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love the wheat grass...will definitely have to try that! The table is beautifully decorated!

Following you on Linky too...your dining room chairs look a lot like mine...I had all wood chairs from Ethan Allen and needed a change..more texture than all the wood...so bought some side chairs from Pottery Barn and I really love the look...

Thoroughly Modern Me said...

Love the look and I'm sure it is cheaper than filling your house with fresh bouquets that only last a few days. Love the ironstone as well. Thanks for sharing.

Katherines Corner said...

No offense to Martha but yours is terrific!!!!!! HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness,this is such a lovely idea. I adore the pots you have used. So classic.

pam {simple details} said...

It turned out beautifully, Kim! Yay! Your choice of containers is perfect, too! Hope you'll share your Easter table! :) Thanks for the sweet shout-out!

Anonymous said...

Your wheat grass looks lovely! I need to try this... :)

Unknown said...

Visiting from DebbieDoo's ... LOVE this! My husband has been wanting to do something like this but I was hesitant thinking I could only use fake grass ... and now I know Wheat Grass is the way to go! Thank you for sharing!

-Jacque @theDIYvillage.com

Tutti Chic said...

The wheat grass is just perfect in these lovely containers....thanks for showing us how...gonna try it tomorrow! :)chris

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I can't believe I wasn't a follower of yours..I am now...I must try this with the grass, it is the coolest and I love all the different sizes of containers you used...love it

Unknown said...

Your table is so pretty. I love the grass idea! I might just do that next year! :)

~Liz

designchic said...

What a wonderful Easter tablescape. Love the bunny peeking out of the grass!!

Lynn @whispersfromwildwood said...

I have the same Peter Rabbit vase and love it! I found it at a yard sale several years ago and quickly grabbed it :)

I love what you've done with the wheat grass! I've got to try that next year!

Pamela said...

Kim I love this! I need to find me some ironstone. My cats may like it too much though.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Your grass in the ironstone is fabulous. What a great idea. Love the toile tablecloth and your napkin tutorial in your new post, too.

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

I'm stopping by from Debbie-Doo's ...

I just love wheat grass and didn't realize it was so easy to grow. Now keep in mind that I have a serious brown thumb so this project could be an epic fail for me ...

But am loving your Easter decor ...

:)

Linda
www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

The Vintage Chateau said...

I love the wheat grass in the ironstone tureens! Thanks for the how to.
Karee

farmhouse-story said...

the grass is so perfect for spring--love your pics!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...