HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Monday, June 25, 2012

French-Style Chairs For Less–Great Find!

Busted---I’m a chair-aholic!  (which goes perfectly well with my self-proclaimed “furniture-ista” status!)  Read about it here.  And here.

great_find (5)

I found these French-style chairs at Home Goods for $179 each. I wasn’t looking for them and I didn’t really need them, but I couldn’t pass them up.  (Reminder,  furniture-istas can’t help themselves).  I think they have a nice look to them, even though they aren’t the “real” thing.  Nevertheless, they are such a great find.  Y’all  know the authentic ones cost at least 3 times as much!

great_find (3)

They are all wood and have decent carving detail to them.  The fabric is a heavy cotton with a slight texture (almost like linen) but actually more like a lightweight drop cloth!

great_find

I really like the whitewashed treatment for the finish.  It looks like limed-oak which is sooo European.  I am so digging limed oak.  It looks like a cross between Swedish Gustavian and France.

great_find (7)

The French script and fleur de lis is printed on the fabric.

great_find (4)

 

Now, here’s the real McCoy!  Well, vintage anyway.  This beauty is from France, and is a French reproduction that was made in the 1940s-50s of an earlier period French chair.  I had it recovered in a linen/cotton blend.

French_chairs (2)

I fell in love with the color of the fruitwood. Such a beautiful soft patina…not too dark, not too  light. And, it goes with everything.

French_details

The detail is amazing!

French_details (2)

It exudes “Frenchiness” with a zinc pitcher and hydrangeas.

French_chairs

But, my “great find” chairs aren’t too shabby for the price.  That’s one way to “get the look” without “breaking the bank”!

great_find (6)

I love all kinds of chairs. Great chairs with good bones always catch my eye when I am antiquing.  I look for things like tufting or wood frames with the best detail.   I have one with a plume carving in the back splat that needs a good paint job.  More about that later.

What about you?  What cool furniture knock-offs have you found lately? Are you a chair-aholic?

Happy Hunting,

Kim

P.S. Congrats to Rosemary at Villa Barnes.  She is the lucky winner of my French giveaway over at Coastal Charm.

12 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love those. I saw them at our Home Goods too a while back. Love your other chair, too and oh, I love the zinc pitcher.

So fun to meet you in person. Maybe you will come back to Atlanta when Scott's is open and we can meet up.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your new chairs are lovely and yes they are a great find. I love your "real" one. Such fabulous detail and the wood is stunning. Beautiful piece. I have a chair fettish also, but my house is FULL, FULL, FULL. lol Hugs, Marty

Olive said...

Oh yes I like chairs and those are great. I just found a 1960's high back basset chair that is unexpected with my traditional dining room chairs.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love chairs like this, too, Kim. Unfortunately, I have no place to put them now that we have downsized. Which is a good thing because it keeps me in check!

Maureen Wyatt said...

Who can resist a chair with French script on it! ~ Maureen

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

LOVE!!!!! those chairs!

Unknown said...

excellent information regarding french style chairs and I have come to know about your blog from my friend and I have the post of yours it is quite interesting as I was searching for the similar kind of information, this information is very helpful.Thanks for the wonderful post.

Regards,
Antique Furniture

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Beautiful chairs!!!

Dee

Cynthia said...

Love these chairs. I love Home Goods I have so many great things from there. If saw these I would've snatched them up and then figured out what I was going to do with them.

Cynthia

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I think those chairs found "you" instead of you finding them!...they knew they were going to a great home!
Fantastic chairs Kim!!...

Unknown said...

You will find on this post the french style chair in the post here. Useful information

BabyCots

Unknown said...

This chairs are really nice. I also find french style chairs
and finally I got it from Englander Line Ltd.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...