HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Romantic Altered Boxes for Valentine’s Day

IMG_2103

What better way to re-purpose old gift boxes and cigar boxes than to make them into something pretty and romantic? Why not try one for someone special this Valentine’s Day?

IMG_2112

I’ve always loved making collages.
This was made from a lovely discarded gift box covered in floral paper.  Using Victorian valentine scrap, German Dresden trim, buttons, stickers,  snippets of fabric and small found trinkets, the lid is transformed into a Valentine gift box with a little bit of glue.

IMG_2109

As a surprise to the recipient, the underside of the lid is also decorated including lace and rhinestones.  It is now used to store special valentines.

IMG_2116


This extra special box is given a  3-D lid by layering a dove, ribbon, vintage rhinestone pin, tassel, and a love poem attached as a banner with a pearl topped pin.

IMG_2118

Again, the underside of the lid is decorated using a vintage card and paper butterfly.


IMG_2207

IMG_2212

Small jewelry boxes can be fancied up with ribbon, stickers, figural buttons, and miniatures.

IMG_2120


I wanted to include this as well, although I did this one several years ago in 2002 for our second anniversary.  An old wooden cigar box was used here.  These make the greatest items to alter because they are very solid. I got this idea from one of Tracy Porter’s books.


IMG_2119


In this particular instance, I used it as an invitation given to my husband for a romantic dinner.  Because it is so shallow it is almost like opening a book or card.  It was a lot of fun to make because you can use so many different kinds of scrap, trim, and found objects. 
Try one for your sweetheart and include movie or play tickets, or a gift certificate for dinner for two.


IMG_2102

Using collage is a fun way to make something ordinary into something extraordinary! There are no mistakes so that’s what I like about it!!!  And, it’s easy to use what you already have on hand.  All you need is a little imagination!!!

Blessings,
Kim

Linking up to:
Vintage Inspiration Valentine Edition at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday @ At The Picket Fence
Weekend Wrap Up at Tater Tots and Jello

4 comments:

momto8 said...

soo romantic and beautiful...I love it!!! Thank you for showing all these ideas!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

momto8 said...

that is ok if you don't follow back. I still love your ideas!

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

I am in fact following you! You have a lovely and very interesting blog!

Michelle said...

I love the kitty.I am a cat person.I am now following you on Linky Follower. I would love it if you followed me back. I always enjoy meeting new Bloggers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...