HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Bringing A Kitchen Up To Date


I’ve been working with a friend/client who is wanting to update her kitchen and dinette and put a little “spice” if you will, into her décor.

I thought I’d give you a sneak peek at where I’m headed with this one.  She lives in a lovely ranch style home with exquisite solid oak custom kitchen cabinets.  Only problem is…..she doesn’t like the very dark, heavy grained OAK cabinets.  They were there when she purchased the house and always wanted to change them, but they are very good solid custom cabinets so it doesn’t make sense to replace them.


IMG_5881

She is not a fan of white cabinets, so my suggestion is to paint them in an espresso to help hide the grain she doesn’t like and which will give it an updated modern feel.    Although there are a few methods to help hide the grain when you paint oak cabinets, none are perfect.  It is sooo hard to cover over the grain so it doesn’t’ show.  I have seen a product called Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations and the testimonials sound good.  Have any of you tried it?


She also describes herself as a “caught in a taupe world” home decorator and wants to jazz up the space with color.
Below is a mood board that I am working on:  I like the results so far.


image


Her favorite colors are eggplant and sage so we are going to use these colors for accents and on windows and rugs.  Replacing fixtures and cabinet handles will also imbue a modern vibe while still maintaining a traditional “chic”.  The homeowner likes “bling” so in goes a chandelier.


GromDrape

(Oops! The above photo is not mine. It came from Google Images. I have the automatic watermark turned on in Windows Live Writer and couldn't figure out how to remove it in the already published post!)

I’m loving the sophistication of this window treatment.  I want to use geometrics in this space and stay away from florals.

Of course, I have to add a French touch.  I’m thinking updated ticking and toile? Or maybe a confit?
We’ll see.

Until next time,
Kim

Linking up to:
Cowgirl Up! at Cedar Hill Ranch
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Potpourri Friday at 2805
Inspiration Friday @ At The Picket Fence

11 comments:

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

You'll be busy! Dropping by from the LINKY Follower Party Hop! Now a friend through LINKY!

Debbiedoos said...

Very nice Kim. I am loving those color choices too. Thanks for sharing.

Patsy said...

Lovely blog, Kim! I am a new follower! Patsy

Bliss said...

I think she will really like a dark espresso and maybe won't even mind a bit of the grain showing.

~Bliss~

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your inspiration board. I am sure it is going to be fabulous. I look forward to seeing more. Thanks for the visit and the gracious comments. I am following you also. Hugs, Marty

Becky McNeer said...

I am so excited to see how it turns out! New linky follower! Not Your Ordinary Recipes
Not Your Ordinary Agent

Britt said...

It will be gorgeous!! I love your fabric choices!

Simply Tasheena said...

I love the ideas you have in mind!

PS: I am your newest follower via Linky Followers.

Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

alcan peter said...

Yeah, Pretty good suggestion dear. Such a great stuffs for kitchen. I am very impressed with your choice.
avioes rc

Sarah said...

I love, love, love those window treatments and the chandelier. Sooo pretty!

Stopping by from the newbie party and I'm your newest follower! I'd love to have you stop by and visit my (newbie) blog too, and follow back if you are so inclined.

Have a wonderful night,
Sarah
www.adventuresofourfamily.com

Cristina Garay said...

I like your mood board! the colors blend nicely! Painting the cabinets it's the way to go! I just did so and I'm pretty happy with the result even though the grain did not go away! I'm now following you on GFC and Linky, hope you follow too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...