HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Friday, February 22, 2013

LBE Sunroom Changes And The Plant That’s Gone Wild!

My sunroom area is sort of hard to describe.  It’s actually an amalgamation of the wet bar, the gallery and the master sitting room….so naturally it ended up being a sunroom.  Makes perfect sense, right?
This is the wet bar that’s tucked into a large niche at the end of the gallery.


IMG_0558 

I recently removed the lovely fake faux greenery from the tops of the cabinets and added a French zinc pot and a wonderful Moet & Chandon champagne presentation basket that I got from Sunday Brocantes.  (I truly am beginning to have an aversion for artificial flowers and arrangements ever since HGTV ranked it in the top 5 of decorating no-no’s)


IMG_0559


However…..now that I’m into my “use real or use nothing” phase, I have a plant that’s growing too well!

Let me explain.  I’ve never had a green thumb.  So imagine my delight that the twisted money tree that I got for my husband 3 years ago for Father’s Day is still alive and well!  I also have another one in the foyer. 

I moved the large French biot (olive jar) that was here and now I realize this plant has overgrown its boundaries.  How dare it cover up an antique French sunburst mirror and dwarf the chest of drawers!  We’ve repotted it already and I can see that it won’t be long before it’s gonna have to sit on the floor.  I used to have an artificial arrangement here, too with an oil painting in the niche, but I just wanted something “alive”.  And, that’s just what I got!


IMG_0562


This is the before view looking thru the gallery from the kitchen.  You never see the wet bar from this view.  The olive jar is certainly more substantial for the plant and grounds it better.


IMG_0393


This is the sunroom part that was supposed to be a master sitting room that we opened up when we were building.  That’s my husband’s favorite chair (next to the family room recliner). He does a lot of reading here. So again, the dark brown bomber leather is a mainstay at my house.


IMG_0566


I kind of like to think of this as my side.  I moved a rustic French garden table with stone top under the window.   The woven berber rug came from Wal-Mart.  I couldn’t find a sisal that I could get happy with and the color of this rug blends seamlessly with the travertine tile.  It was a no brainer at $49.


IMG_0568


I sit in the bergere to read.


IMG_0571


This is where the olive jar ended up.  I got the beveled glass top at Kirkland’s so I could use it as a table.  That’s a pair of antique French garden design engravings hanging above.  I’m still lovin’ the shield shade candlestick lamps.  The other one is in the bedroom.


IMG_0584


This is the secondary door to the master bedroom.  


IMG_0587


I removed some of my antique lady engravings and hung only the ones with children. They are so charming.


IMG_0606



IMG_0607


Yes, that’s a faux flower arrangement.  Hey, I’ve gotten rid of most of them just not all of them.  But on the upside, that’s a magnolia tree right outside the window. It’s blooms are beautiful in the summer.


IMG_0590


Okay. I bet you’ve not noticed any window treatments because there aren’t any!!! lol
Below are the valances that I had made when we moved in.  I was tired of their formality so I took them down last fall and am still trying to decide what I want to do.  This room gets a lot of sun and I don’t want to cover the windows completely so absolutely no blinds.


sunroom


I want light, airy, and romantic so I think I’ve narrowed it down to the two choices below:

Country Curtains has these great new “pinch pleat” sheers.  I think it takes sheers to a whole new level and pinch pleat are more custom looking.


Country Curtains Pinch Pleat Sheer 48


Or, Pottery Barn now has these great smocked sheers on-line only!  I don’t think I can go wrong with either choice.  I will go with white either way.


Smocked Drape



Now what to do with that monster plant?  And, what do I put in it’s place?  


IMG_0593


This just in:

I was getting ready to hit “publish” when I got an idea for the plant.  What if it were lowered?  I had an antique wood crate that I had painted gray and grabbed that for a base.  What do you think now?  Better? Or will the plant have to go?


IMG_0613

Decorating is NEVER done.

Blessings,

18 comments:

Sheila said...

Your home is beautiful & I love the sunroom! I suppose I am just going to have to make a few decorating blunders as I still enjoy the faux arrangements. At least I tend to go more for just the greenery now. I enjoy your posts!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

This is a great post. I think the plant can stay now that you have lowered it, at least till it grows more:) I love this space. We have a sitting room i our master now too and I am still looking for a loveseat for in there. I also love the smocked sheers, LOVE them!!! When we first moved in, in Oct. we put block out shades in our master since there is a house right behind us. I now HATE them and am looking for another alternative. I am thinking I will continue with matchstick blinds and maybe the flocked sheers over them!!!! Thanks for showing us. XO, Pinky

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Lowered looks great and works perfectly so keep that plant.

I bought one that size that is now a huge tree - about 12 feet tall. Just saying it could be a lifelong friend if you keep putting it in very large pots - they grow fast, well, easy and huge if they have room to stretch.

As for your gorgeous spaces = wow. Your home is absolutely beautiful, I ;love to get glimpses of it all.

Have a great weekend.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I'm not familiar with that plant, Kim, but if it can take full sun, why not move it into the sunroom? It would probably look great on that table by the window or even in place of your faux floral on the small table. Love your curtain options. The smocking one is just lovely.

NanaDiana said...

I think the plant looks great lowered! Your whole room is just gorgeous, Kim. I love the idea of sheers in the windows and those smocked ones are beautiful!

As for the plant....you can just nip (lop off) the branches to the length you want them to be...they will then get bushier and fill out more...rather than get taller. xo Diana

Anne said...

Your home is beautiful!Yes I agree with the faux plants.But I still can't stop using my dried flowers here and there.I know I know dead flowers.But I love the color and texture.I do find myself using fresh flowers more often than I did before.I wish I could have real plants in my home.But I am no good with indoor plants.
Yes I do like it better lowered.
xx
Anne

Karena said...

Kimberley I love the white smocked curtain. Your plant looks great and love the star-burst mirror above it!

xoxo
Karena
2012 Artists Series

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Kim your home is absolutely beautiful! I love the PB smocked sheers!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kim...love the PB smocked sheers...they remind me of my burlap smocked panels...I really love, love the crate..I think it goes well with the olive jar (color) on the other side....that olive jar is fabulous!!! Did you buy it locally?....Your sunroom is beautiful...it has both yours and your hubby's personality...a good thing!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love this sun room. What a great spot to sit and chill. I love the table in front of the windows and that confit jar that I still don't own. Maybe in France I will find some I can afford!
Never heard of that plant before and isn't it nice to have one that actually keeps living. Didn't know about the pinch pleated sheers at CC. I may need those for my bedroom. Now you have opened a can of worms.

Pendra said...

Lovely space and I adore those gorgeous pillars. I could and would spend a lot of time in that area, so light and bright and I bet those blooms on that tree are gorgeous! I put white sheers up and thought I would love them...not so much. They made the room even brighter (of course I've only ever seen white snow outside of them) and just obscured the view... I think I just need to put up some tiebacks and it might solve it altogether! I agree the smocked curtains are gorgeous and less formal, but I have always loved pinched pleats, so I am of no help to you. I can't figure out my own space, I have had 2 sets of curtains for bedroom (and bedding) and living room and we've only been here less then 9 months!! You have a gorgeous home and beautiful space!
Hugs,
Pendra

Unknown said...

The sheer curtain is a good idea! I love the second picture. You are right, it feels right. What a marvelous home. Thanks for sharing you amazing posts! Thanks for linking!

Lisa said...

What a beautiful space! Lets see, I like the plant on the crate, love the smocked curtains, and love the contrast the leather chair adds in the space. Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven for a visit.
xo,
Lisa

Unknown said...

This is a marvelous home! I love the European touches and the classic elegance! Great job.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Laura @ duke manor farm said...

congrats on having a live plant!! :) looks good either way. I just ordered those smocks in white. I love them. hopefully they will just as good in the space that I want them to be in .

Unknown said...

The plant is better lowered because it highlights more the sunflower plant effect you're trying to create. Plus, a corner can only handle enough details. Reserve the fantastic olive jar to give life to some other area in the house. The key to successful decoration is knowing how to implement balance despite all things you have in hand you think needs recognition. Yancey

Unknown said...

Yeah, if you want plants inside your house for decoration purposes, just go with the real ones. It is better in every way. It doesn’t really require much time and attention. Give time in researching the low-maintenance ones. You’d be doing more than just improving your interior. You’d also be improving the air quality around your home.

Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

Unknown said...

I adore your sunroom very much. It has a combination of a minimalistic and elegant appeal. The creamy white shade wall goes well with everything. You can also feel a rustic atmosphere in the place because of the fixtures. The candlestick lamp and the olive jar were certainly the most outstanding pieces in the room!
Aldo Finney @ Jacob Sunroom & Exteriors

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...