HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Monday, March 4, 2013

Let The House Mission Begin!

If you missed yesterday’s post about this mission click HERE.


IMG_0660


I’m cheating a little and starting in the family room because I’ve already gotten a head start.  The blinds, windows and baseboards were cleaned after the painting was done right before the holidays.

TIP:  If you really want to get motivated to clean and organize your house, start with something easy to clean out that’s not too overwhelming so you can guarantee yourself some success.  It will get you on the right track to keep going and you’ll feel proud of your accomplishment!


IMG_0670


1. Cleaning:

I have leather furniture because of our dog, Murphy, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  Using a good leather cleaner at least once a year will keep your leather looking good and feeling great.  This was the only special major cleaning task I had to do in this room.


IMG_0646


2. Organization:

Do your magazines and catalogs get out of control after the holidays?  Mine do. I have thrown most of them away today. 


IMG_0658


I bought these baskets from Target last fall to corral all our movies.  I like their uniformity and dark color against the white.  


IMG_0710


Tip: I put felt pads purchased at Lowe’s or Wal-mart on just about everything I have from accessories to furniture to prevent scratching.  They come in several different diameters.


IMG_0713


My most challenging organization in this room is Murphy’s toys.  Yes, the dog’s toys.


IMG_0642


Seems he thinks it’s a game between us….I put them in the basket and he gets them out and spreads them all over the floor.
I had just put these stuffed toys away and went to get the vacuum cleaner and this is what I found when I came back!


IMG_0640


Does this face look guilty to you?


IMG_4870


Caught with the evidence. He doesn’t have an alibi either.


IMG_0657


Now the cat gets in on the act.  Don’t they realize I’ve got lots of work to do here?


IMG_0650


Okay, enough diversion with the animals.  Back to the post.

I use this large basket that I got from HL for out of season blankets and throws that we use in the winter.  Other than that I don’t keep a lot of things stored in this room not even in the furniture drawers.  They’re pretty much empty.


IMG_0679


3. Décor:

Now the fun part.  I haven’t put any fabric on the windows since I removed the original custom treatments last fall and they have white wood blinds  I was looking at probably doing a simple white linen drape from Pottery Barn but after today I’ve changed my mind.


IMG_0678


This is what the room looked like waaaay before with the drapes.  (Please don’t tell me you like the before better because it will hurt my feelings. lol  Sometimes you change things not because it’s really bad but because you just need a change!)


IMG_0843


I’m going to use the old drapes without the topper.  They are a nice heavy lined toile that’s pinch pleated.  I am going with different rods though…these were mahogany wood and clunky.  Today I ordered antique brass metal ones from Country Curtains.  Here’ s a better pic of the fabric.  It’s very Provincial.


IMG_0656


Tip: I always allow 6-7” on either side of the window for treatments.  Measuring outside the casing these  windows are 44” W so I’ll use a 56” W rod.  I have to be careful with drapes and rods  because of the surround sound system.


IMG_0674


There is definitely a design dilemma in this room.  It has two competing focal points.  The fireplace and the TV.  “Houston, we have a problem”.  But there’s always a way to work around it. Believe me I’ve had this room arranged every which way but loose!  You can see in some of the photos where I have a couple floor outlets that I used to have furniture over with lamps on it.   They have also been covered with rugs in the past.

The mantel is over here.  (If you want to read about the Charles Levier painting over the sofa click HERE…it’s fascinating if you love art)


IMG_0683


And the media wall is here.  You can read about the board and batten treatment HERE.


IMG_0705


I can’t decide which I like better on the mantel.  The faux boxwood topiaries or the hurricanes?


IMG_0697


I’ve had the antique sugar mold for quite some time.


IMG_0672


I replaced the oversized mid-century Sheraton style mahogany framed mirror with this lovely Louis Philippe example that I brought from my Lexington home.  It’s one of my favorites.  It has that luscious almost two- toned silvery gold that I adore.


IMG_0686


See the smaller etched mirrors all around the frame?  I love details like this.


IMG_0687


I’m wanting to replace the dark coffee table with a glass table since I have all the dark seating in here.  I added a grain sack runner to lighten the top up a bit.


IMG_0693


I also worked on a vignette using some of my ironstone and a bunch of lavender.  It smells so good!  Tip: Dried florals and fresh fruit are a win-win whenever you need a quick tablescape.  A few candles and you’re good to go.  Other can’t miss items are trays and books!


IMG_0663


Here is a blank wall canvas that I need to do something with.  I’ve had a secretary here and different wall hangings but I just want something different.  This leads to the powder room and garage.


IMG_0699


I’m thinking of using these vintage Paris photos that I got from Jermaine at French Kissed.  I want to frame 4 or all 6  in simple black frames and create a collage.


IMG_0700


I’ll leave you with a few more photos.  There is Murphy again playing on the floor with his toy.  I can’t seem to get him to move when I’m taking photos.  The rug came from my daughter’s bedroom. 


IMG_0677



IMG_0676


The fireplace is see-thru.


IMG_0666
IMG_0683


The “boob” light has got to go.  Smile  I’m trying to decide between a lantern or a drum shade style.  I’m keeping my eye on Aidan Gray lighting.


IMG_0678


That just about does it for today.  What will I tackle tomorrow?

The paint color in this room is SW Wool Skein and the white trim is Porter Queen Anne’s Lace.

Blessings,
Kim
Linking up to:

14 comments:

Susan said...

Your home is gorgeous! It sounds like you are progressing well with your mission.
Murphy is adorable. I love spaniels and want one so badly. Maybe when I retire.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

The room looks so fresh, Kim. I've been putting so much off for so long. I need to get on a mission too. Your little mischief makers are adorable, btw.

Olive said...

I am looking for a leather sofa because of our German Shepherd. He takes his toys apart and I have to pick up fiberfill off the floor. I love that mirror and your fruit vignette is beautiful.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Kim your room looks so fresh! I LOVE the panels your putting back on the windows!

Bliss said...

OK, question... so you like the leather with Murphy because of shedding? We have a division in the house, I want leather couches for that reason, and my kids tell me they will hate sitting on leather. So instead I keep the old stuff!

Bliss

NanaDiana said...

What a big job you have undertaken. It is all looking great so far. I just love what you have done. We are getting ready to put our house on the market in the Spring and I am dreading all the work again. This is house #15 for us- xo Diana

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Kim, the room is awesome and you ahve done a remarkable job cleaning, organizing, decorating and lightening it up.

My suggestion is NOT to replace that awesome coffee table - just paint it. It's exactly right for the space - don't replace it - just lighten it up yourself or have a professional do it.

That's my 2 cents worth.

I have had SO many glass tables in the years past - bleh. I wouldn't again, that's for danged sure.

Maureen Wyatt said...

You shouldn't be messing with the dog's toys. I'm sure it peeves him when you throw them all in that basket! That room is practically glowing with clean and the mirror is to die for!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

You have been one busy lady!!....You are getting me motivated Kim....everything looks great...!! Like the idea of replacing "the boob"...looking forward to see what you will choose....I am wanting to replace our fan in the media room with a lantern....we never use the fan!!...

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Good beginnings! The wall you are undecided about...how about using a LARGE overall stencil to mimic wallpaper ( unless you want wallpaper) so it creates a spot of drama? You could still use the pics...blow them up and create a gallery effect. Looking forward to seeing the changes!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I have been spring cleaning too, and I love your room, gorgeous. The toile fabric of the drapes is so pretty, I think they will look amazing. Thanks for joinig TTT. Hugs, Marty

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

I love your lightened up living room! Your before looks like mine did a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, mine is still not finished! LOL! I'm trying to bring myself to tackle some painting but I know it needs to done because all the dark leather in mine makes it seem so much darker! Have a blessed week!

Moni - Zuhaus at Home said...

Your living room looks lovely, I really like the mirror...just beautiful!

Pendra said...

I love that your Murphy and kitty have their own basket of toys...looks like my house with my Hannah (cocker spaniel) and Leyla (my BIG fat puddy cat), they just can't keep their toys picked up either! But it makes me smile and truth be told nothing makes me happier then to hear a toy squeaking from Hannah enjoying herself! I LOVE the toile curtains and they are a definite YES in my book!! I can't keep up with you!!!
~Pendra

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...