HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Wisteria Knock-Off

I received a new Wisteria catalog in the mail a few days ago, and these French feed sack message boards caught my eye. (Can you see them on the right wall in the photo?) Looks like grain sacks will still be very popular in 2012 decor, and I love the simple charm they provide.
IMG_5266
Of course, now I’m seeing them everywhere in blogland on the side bar ads. Maybe you’ve noticed them?
This photo is from the Wisteria web site.
w5403-large
They come in two sizes, large which is 18 X 24 and medium which is 16 X 20 and you can choose red or blue for the accent stripe. Obviously, it states that they all are different due to being vintage and some stripes are thin and some have only single stripes, but you get the point.
These sacks are mounted on a board and cost $89 for the lg. and $79 for the med. size. (I noticed the large size is already sold out and on backorder!).
So, I gathered a couple pieces of scrap plywood already cut (close to the Wisteria sizes), two faux grain sack dish towels from Target,  some velcro dots and…
IMG_5282
IMG_5281

Voila!
IMG_5297
IMG_5299
This has to be the easiest project, EVER!
Easy as wrapping a package!!!
I already had all of the materials, too!!!
I put them in different places to see how I wanted to use them, and so far I’m undecided where they will stay.

KITCHEN
IMG_5305
IMG_5306

LAUNDRY ROOM
IMG_5309
IMG_5310

Then, I started playing around with them as a vignette and thought I’d actually try to see how they would work as  memo boards.
I found that tacks and push pins would go through the plywood pretty good, but I came up with the idea of using vintage rhinestone jewelry as holders.  It was easy securing these pins through the fabric with their bar pin backs, then they became a holder for photos or other miscellaneous mementos.
IMG_5319
IMG_5320
IMG_5325
IMG_5324
IMG_5331
IMG_5334

And, an even easier solution is  just to use large safety pins.  I think they add a touch of whimsy!
IMG_5337
IMG_5338
A final step, which I haven’t done yet, is to add a hanger on the back if I decide to hang them on the wall.
The stripes on mine are a little too wide I think. Thinner stripes would probably look better (and more authentic) but all in all they turned out alright for a very quick and easy project that adds a touch of European flair!
Thanks, Wisteria, for the inspiration.
Blessings,
Kim
Linking up to these cool parties:
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
{Primp} Your Stuff Wednesday at Michele Raven Designs
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Voila! French Inspiration at French Cupboard
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Show and Tell Friday at Romantic Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Potpourri Friday at 2805
Inspiration Friday via At the Picket Fence
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense

19 comments:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kim, what a great 'knockoff'! They look great!! You are so clever! I was looking at your stack of decorating books...I love Betty Lou Phillips, as well! I have all of her books on my coffee table! I love your idea of using the vintage rhinestone jewelry pieces...very pretty. I love bling! Lol!

chateau chic said...

You have a fabulous blog. It is lovely! I can tell it's going to be among my "go to" blogs.
Mary Alice

Debbiedoos said...

What a beautiful idea. I love how it looks and all your cute embellishments and vignettes. Thanks for sharing.

Reba and Eldarose, sisters, friends and co-bloggers said...

Love Wisteria and I think this project turned out GREAT! I am visiting from DebbieDoo's newbie party. My sister and I are new bloggers, too. Do you ever feel a bit overwhelmed by how much there is to learn? I sincerely had no idea there was so much to blogging.

Anyway, I love French things. Good luck on your upcoming trip to France. I am jealous. I haven't been in quite a few years and I miss it. We are going to follow your blog. You had me at the toile background. I find toile impossible to resist. :D

See you around blogland. Looking forward to more of your posts.

Sincerely,
Eldarose from http://re-inventedstyle.blogspot.com

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I like yours better than the ones at Wisteria! Cute idea using the jewelry too. Thanks for sharing this great idea at the Open House Party.
Hugs,
Sherry

Kathryn said...

Kim,
Yours turned out fantastic! I have looked for these towels at Target and have not been able to find them!!! I am going to pin these. I also love the sign in your picture that says "Le Jardin de Lavande" ... did you make it? I'm loving all things french too. Found you at Debbie Doos and I'm glad I did. Following you now. :)

I'd love for you to pop by and visit sometime!
Kathryn@www.uglyducklingtransformations.wordpress.com

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I like the pop of red in your better. Nice job Kim.

{northern cottage} said...

oh yum - i never would have thought of attaching them with velcro - aren't you a smartie pants? I have these towels just sitting in a drawer - silly silly silly me! would love to have ya come visit -

http://northerncottage.blogspot.com/2012/01/northern-cottage-party-time-tuesday2.html

Linda said...

Love this! Stop over from Coastal Charm and would love to follow your blog.

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

What gorgeous vignettes you came up with! Very creative idea.

aimee said...

amazing i love it thanks for sharing xxx

A Thrifted Market said...

I just gave you the Liebster Award and a shout out on my blog..come check it out!

Stacey Stuwe said...

Hello, visiting from A Thrifted Market and now following!! Fantastic idea this is definately going on my projects list!

Sherry said...

Great way to add artwork to your home and using Velcro makes it all so simple. I'm a new follower, please drop by for a visit when you have a chance.

foreverdecorating said...

These are totally awesome. Don't you feel better doing it yourself rather than having purchased them? I know I do.

Maureen Wyatt said...

I like your version of the grain sacks and the vintage pins are genius! I'm your newest member so I don't miss any of your clever ideas!

Becca Bertotti said...

What a wonderful idea! They look perfect everywhere you've placed them! Yes, I need to take a trip to Target! Thanks for sharing. *Becca* (new follower by way of At the Picket Fence)

www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

The Charm of Home said...

Oh, I like how these turned out! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

What a great knock-off idea! These look wonderful! The idea of using the 'pins' was genius!! I'm one of your newest friends! Drop by for a visit sometime!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...